- Deployment — Salesforce
- Deployment — Betterworks
- Connecting A Key Result To Salesforce
The Salesforce integration allows Betterworks users to connect their key results to Salesforce data so that progress can be updated automatically. As part of the integration, your organization will be issued 30 Salesforce licenses. These licenses are generally meant for executives within Sales departments, executives within Operations departments and/or administrators. This is because they are often the ones responsible for setting up and monitoring Salesforce reports. As such, they can easily connect key results to reports in Salesforce, then assign the key results to any user listed in Betterworks.
Jane Doe is the Director of Sales at Acme Corp. and has been assigned a Salesforce license. As a result, she can:
1. Create an objective and assign it to the Sales department.
2. Create key results that are connected to specific Salesforce reports.
3. Assign the key results to any user, including Marsha Doe who doesn't have a Salesforce license.
Users who are assigned to Salesforce-integrated key results don’t need a Salesforce license. As such, most organizations end up assigning far less than the default 30 licenses.
In order to setup the integration, you need to be an administrator in your organization's Betterworks instance and in your organization's Salesforce instance.
You'll need to create a Salesforce profile that the integration will use for data collection. We recommend naming this profile "firstname.lastname@example.org". Meaning that if your organization is Acme Corp., the profile would be "email@example.com".
- "Manage Package Licenses" enabled:
- "Read Only" permission (may need to be increased if access is insufficient)
- "Apex REST Services" enabled
- "API" enabled
Notes: Match the lowest access level of any Salesforce user in your organization who also has a Betterworks account. A higher level of access may expose sensitive data to the rest of your organization.
Deployment — Salesforce
Install the Betterworks app in your organization's Salesforce instance. You can find it in the App Exchange:
1. Download the Betterworks managed package.
2. Select "Install for All Users".
3. Select "Upgrade or Install".
After the installation is complete, you'll be taken to the Manage Licenses page and can assign licenses to the users in your organization (as long as they also have Betterworks accounts).
- To access this page in the future, simply go to Setup → Build → Installed Packages → Manage Licenses (this should be beside "Betterworks Managed"). Depending on your installation type, the navigation path may be Setup → App Setup → Develop → Installed Packages, instead.
- It can take up to two hours after the integration set up for the Salesforce icon to appear.
Deployment — Betterworks
1. Log into Betterworks.
2. Go to Admin panel → Integrations section.
3. Click "Set Up" to expand the Salesforce integration section and toggle right to enable it.
4. Enter the Host URL.
- Note: If you're unsure of how to find your Host URL, use this resource from Salesforce.
5. Enter the applicable credentials and click "Connect":
- When entering credentials, be sure to enter your token immediately after your password with no spaces in between. So, if your password is "1234567" and your token is "abcdefg", you'll want to enter "1234567abcdefg".
- If you're unsure of how to retrieve your token, use this resource from Salesforce.
- If your organization uses Single Sign-On (SSO) to access Salesforce, you'll need to generate a password for the newly created user. To do this, log into Salesforce as the new user, then go to Profile Settings → Create a Password.
6. Submit a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Salesforce Organization ID as this will allow us to account for the issued licenses.
Additionally, review this resource from Salesforce to learn how to create a user that does not require password updates. We recommend disabling password updates for users who will use the Salesforce integration. Requiring password updates for them may prevent the integration from functioning correctly.
Connecting A Key Result To Salesforce
Note: Users who don't have a license will not be able to complete this action.
To connect a key result to data from a Salesforce report, start by either creating a new objective and subsequent key result or editing an existing one.
1. Scroll down to "Integrations" and click the Salesforce integration (denoted by the blue cloud symbol):
2. Select any Salesforce report by entering it's name in the "Search for a report" field:
3. Once you’ve connected a report, choose from where to pull the key result's value. Available summary fields will appear in the "Select Field" dropdown menu.
- Note: If the unit matches a Betterworks default unit (i.e. dollars or percent), the unit will import. However, you'll also have the option to select a custom unit.
4. (Optional) Use the "Group by to select key fields" function from your Salesforce report.
5. Save the report and you'll be taken back to the key result. Once you've set the target metric for the key result, click "Submit". Following this, a Salesforce icon will display next to the key result on the Objectives list page.
How often is progress updated?
Once per hour.
Why can't I select a summary field for a Salesforce-integrated key result?
First, check the Salesforce report to confirm there is a summary field. If there is a summary field and you are not able to select it for your key result, there may be custom objects within the report that the Salesforce integration cannot see.
Can I push Betterworks data back to Salesforce?
No, not at this time.
Can I connect my key results to other Salesforce records?
We currently only support connection to Salesforce reports.
What are the best practices for handling failed Salesforce logins?
Please see this Salesforce resource.