As an administrator, managing workflows and ensuring productivity across your team is crucial. With the Betterworks JIRA integration, you can seamlessly integrate your JIRA workflow into your milestone tracking in Betterworks. By linking JIRA issues to milestones in Betterworks, you can increase transparency and accountability; enabling you to make data-driven decisions, track overall progress, and drive success.
Anyone who uses JIRA to track tasks, features, or projects in their workflow can benefit from this integration. For instance, engineers use it to show bugs that they have to squash and product managers use it to track the shipment of features by setting up a JQL query to capture overall progress.
To set up the JIRA integration, go to Admin → Platform Configuration → Integrations → Third-party integrations → JIRA → Set Up
Atlassian-hosted JIRA Instances
If your JIRA installation is hosted by Atlassian in the cloud:
1. Generate an API token in JIRA.
2. In Betterworks, enter the applicable username (email address).
3. Enter the API token created from JIRA into the password field.
4. Enter an "Instance Name."
5. Add your JIRA host URL.
On-Premises JIRA Instances
If your organization hosts your JIRA instance on-premises:
1. In Betterworks, enter the applicable username (email address).
2. Enter the applicable password.
3. Enter an "Instance Name".
4. Add your JIRA host URL.
If your instance is behind a firewall your organization's IT Team will need to determine a port to use and open it so that the Betterworks application can access the JIRA instance. Be sure to include the port number at the end of the URL (i.e. https://JIRA.company.com:1234).
Your organization's IT Team may also need to allow the following Betterworks IPs to the firewall's safelist:
5. Click "Save".
If you face any issues with the JIRA integration setup, keep the following in mind:
- If you've just completed the integration setup, you may need to log out of Betterworks, then back in again.
- Confirm that the token linked to your JIRA instance is correct and has not expired.
- Be sure to add "https" to the host URL.
- Ensure the credentials for the JIRA user account are up-to-date.
How can I create a JIRA user with read-only permissions for Betterworks users?
You can create a JIRA user with read-only permissions for Betterworks users by:
- Logging in to your organization's JIRA instance as an administrator.
- Navigating to the "User Management" page.
- Clicking the "Create User" button.
- Filling out the user details, including the username and email address.
Setting the appropriate permissions for the user.
- In this case, you'll want to give the user read-only access to the JIRA project and save the user profile.
Once the JIRA user has been created, you can provide the username and password to the Betterworks users who need access to JIRA. They will be able to see the JIRA issue, name, and resolution for every project that is available to that JIRA user. No other details from the JIRA instance will be captured by Betterworks.
For more information on creating JIRA users, you can refer to JIRA's documentation.
Is it possible to add multiple instances of JIRA in the integration if my organization is using multiple instances?
Yes, you can add multiple instances by going to Admin → Platform Configuration → Integrations → Third-party integrations → JIRA → Set Up → Add another instance".
You may need to log out of Betterworks, then back in again to see the change reflected.
Note: For information on how your team can use the JIRA integration, see this article.