- Building out the user CSV file
- Uploading the user CSV file
- Building out the department CSV file
- Uploading the department CSV file
- Deactivating an existing user
- CSV templates
Building out the user CSV file
We've provided templates below. The "Basic" version includes our recommended fields while the "Advanced" version includes addition predetermined fields as well as 5 custom fields. If you need more custom fields, see this article.
1. Ensure that your file contains the required fields
Uploading the user CSV file
1. Go to: Admin → User Management → Departments and users → Users → CSV upload
2. Upload CSV file
3. Check for (and correct) any errors
Deactivating an existing user
To deactivate an existing user, simply enter a value in their "deactivation_date" column. If the deactivation date is in the past, the user will be deactivated immediately. If the date is in the future, our platform will deactivate the user on the date specified.
The accepted date formats for this field are:
Note: The format should match your organization's Betterworks instance as determined by the default language (i.e. "English" has a date format of MM/DD/YYYY while "English - UK" has a date format of MM/DD/YYYY).
Building out the department CSV file
If you include new departments in your user CSV file, they will automatically be created in Betterworks. If your organization has a parent/child department structure (i.e. Accounts Payable rolls up to Finance), use the "Departments" template so that you can easily filter during reporting.
1. Create a CSV file with 2 columns: "Name" and "Parent"
2. Ensure that any "Parent" entries align to departments in the "Name" column
Uploading the department CSV file
1. Go to: Admin → User Management → Departments and users → Departments → CSV upload
2. Upload CSV file
Can I updates users individually?
Of course! For more information, see this article.
Why am I not seeing the new departments I uploaded in Betterworks?
When first uploading a CSV with new users and new departments, the data may take up to 2 hours to process.
What should happen when I upload a department CSV?
- If you upload a department CSV file and the department and parent department already exists it will not allow you to complete the upload.
- If you upload a department CSV file and the department exists, but the parent department is different, the file will upload the change.
- If you upload a file and the department is new, it will create the new department along with the parent relationship.
How do I remove departments?
Departments need to be manually deactivated by going to:
Admin module → Departments and users → Departments → Individual update