Betterworks Conversations are designed to support continuous performance development that is lightweight, data-driven and forward-looking. If you’d like to interact with the Conversations module for the first time, navigate to the Preview Environment.
Betterworks Conversations allow you to:
- Structure OKR setting and reflection across your organization
- Improve quality of progress updates throughout the year
- Help employees give valuable upward feedback
- Create a culture of frequent feedback and coaching
- Integrate career growth Conversations to all of the above
- Conduct performance reviews
Learn more about our research and best practices on driving employee success
For more information and sample Conversation types and prompts, please review the Betterworks Conversation Whitepaper. When you're ready to introduce Conversations to your organization, we recommend answering a couple of key questions:
- How often will you want your employee to have conversations with their manager and direct reports?
This will determine the cadence for the scheduled conversations that you create. Often times we see companies setting at least a quarterly cadence, either with the same questions each quarter, or having specific topics for each.
Often times, if a company has a performance evaluation, it will take the place of one quarterly Conversations. To see how Betterworks Conversations can be leveraged for performance reviews, click here.
- If you have a performance evaluation process, how will these Conversations be leveraged?
Often times, the reason to have more frequent Conversations is to make sure that an employee is not surprised at their end of year assessment. Thus, make sure you are supporting your end of year process by including questions that guide towards collecting information throughout the year on the topics that will be leveraged during the performance evaluation.
- What would you like your employees to gain from having more frequent Conversations with their manager and direct reports?
Your answer will help determine what additional questions you will ask within the Conversation and also guide your communications as you surface the program to your organization.
- Are you looking to provide more opportunities for individuals to initiate Conversations on their own throughout the year, even outside of scheduled cycles?
If so, definitely enable Anytime Conversations with a couple of templates that can be leveraged throughout the year. A couple of popular anytime Conversations we see are:
- Development Check-Ins
- Performance Improvement Plans
- Feedback Summary
Enable Conversations for your Organization
To turn on Conversations in Betterworks, head to the Admin tab and go to Program management > Conversations > Settings. Administrators can enable the module at the top of the page.
Once enabled, an admin will see two options - Anytime Conversations and Scheduled Conversations. Anytime Conversations allow managers and employees to pick from a list of Conversation templates and and have their own one-on-one Conversation in Betterworks at the time of their choosing. Scheduled Conversations are conducted by a Betterworks admin and will be pushed either to all or a predefined list of employees.
There are 2 types of Conversations that can be configured:
- Anytime Conversations
- Scheduled Conversations
Learn how to configure Conversations here.
Links to other helpful Conversation articles: