- What is an HRIS Connector?
- Requirements to Integrate
- Some Common Vendors
- Basic Setup
- Advanced Setup
- HRIS Integration Errors
- HRIS Setup Questionnaire
- CSV Templates
What is an HRIS Connector?
The betterworks HRIS Connector allows you to import data from a Human Resources Information System (HRIS) into betterworks on a regular schedule. You can see updates from your HRIS in betterworks without manual intervention such as:
- Creation of new users
- Updates to user information for changes to department or manager
- Deactivations of users who have left your organization
If you import data for a user whose department is not in betterworks yet, the HRIS Connector will create that department for you. For example, if you import users for the Finance department, but don’t have that department established in betterworks yet, the department will be created based on the “department_name” value specified in the report.
Requirements to Integrate
- Create a file with user information in CSV or JSON format according to our HRIS Connector & CSV User Upload Template in the Advanced Setup section of this document
- Schedule regular file exports to our HRIS connector
We have an open platform so as long as the above requirements are met, you should be able to create an HRIS integration with betterworks. Below are some common vendors.
Some Common Vendors
Some vendors may charge a fee for custom report creation, script building, or automation services. As a note, the BambooHR and Zenefits integrations are direct-API connections so function a bit differently than our standard HRIS integrations so please see the linked articles for using the BambooHR and Zenefits integrations.
- Build a JSON or CSV report encoded in standard UTF-8 format and with the following columns:
“deactivation_date” (This value should be blank/empty for current employees)
Please include .csv or .json in the file name. Each file should also be uniquely identifiable.
By default, the "email" value will be used as the primary identifier for an account. However, "employee_id" and "manager_id" fields can be included in order to use Employee ID as the primary identifier (instead of email) for an account. This will allow for changes to the email address with which an account is associated and will prevent the creation of a new account when an updated email address is imported.
Note: If you’re using Workday, read their documentation on the Workday Integration Cloud for more information on configuring this report.
- Schedule the report to be sent to the betterworks SFTP server regularly. The HRIS Connector uses industry standard SFTP cryptography to protect your data and your Customer Success representative will provide you with unique credentials to access the server.
Note: You can set the interval at which the report is sent to whatever frequency you like, but we recommend once a day. Once your file arrives, the HRIS Connector will sync the data automatically each hour.
- Once you’ve uploaded the report, the betterworks HRIS Connector will collect the information and use it to create and update user data in betterworks. For any issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your HRIS Connector is configured and running correctly.
In certain cases, betterworks administrators prefer to send additional fields in the HRIS file to keep account management tidy or create more powerful reports in the Admin panel. Please download the CSV attachment at the end of this article to see the template file.
If unique identification numbers are assigned to each person in your company, you may want to consider adding them to the file to ensure betterworks accounts stay intact even if someone changes their name, email, or other attribute. We strongly recommend providing both the employee ID and manager ID with each record (with the CEO or leader of the company having a blank manager ID since they're at the top of the organizational chart).
As of 7/1/2017, the following fields will only appear in the Admin panel for reporting purposes:
“custom_01” through “custom_05”
These fields are not visible on a person's profile, the objective filtering list, or in the org chart.
Note: If your system is unable to utilize the "deactivation_date" field, please contact email@example.com to discuss alternative fields for your file.
HRIS Integration Errors
Please refer to our HRIS Integration Errors article for information about how to handle common HRIS integration errors.
1) If a user is omitted from an upload file, what will happen?
If a user is omitted from a file, this will not cause any change or removal of that user’s account in betterworks.
2) If I leave a field blank for a user in the file to be uploaded and the content in the corresponding field in betterworks has data, what will happen?
This will depend. If it’s the email field, the email field is required. If it’s for a field like custom_01 to custom_05 for example, this will result in an update meaning that the data in the corresponding field in betterworks will be removed. If you are unsure how this works for a specific field, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Can I include column headers that are not listed in the HRIS Connector & CSV User Upload Template and if I do, what will happen?
Including column headers such as ‘employee id’ instead of ‘employee_id’ or column headers that you make up will not be processed by our HRIS connector and will be ignored by it.
4) If I am using a date as a custom field (i.e. hire_date), will the system recognize this as a date instead of a text field?
Yes, this date will be added to the user's account record as an attribute, whether by manual upload or HRIS.
HRIS Setup Questionnaire
Please fill out our HRIS Integration Questionnaire so that we can assist you with your integration. If possible, we ask that you give us 1 weeks notice for scheduling the integration but we are more than happy to accommodate this any way possible.