What is an Objective?
Setting an Objective or Goal (depending on the preferred nomenclature used by your Organization) is what helps users win at work. It keeps team members engaged, gives managers visibility into their reports’ work, and keeps the company aligned in pursuit of set Objectives.
To create a new Objective click create at the top right.
You should now see this:
You can type the name of your objective and the names of any key results - some of these items may be required based on your company settings. We recommend putting in as much information in your even if it is optional for your environment.
- Owner: If you're creating Goals for others in your company, you may change the owner by clicking the dropdown function and searching for team member names.
- Category: If your company requires it, you must select a category for this Goal. These are set by your administrator.
- Date range/period: These are defaulted to the end of the current quarter, but you can adjust the start and end dates. To edit either date, click to open the calendar and select a new date.
- Describe this Goal: This section is great to use for any additional context, links to documents, or other notes that coworkers might find helpful.
- Alignment: Click the link Align this Goal to another, and search for a person or Goal you’d like this Goal to contribute to.
- Progress Settings: This allows you to set a target for your Goal. For example, if “Hit $100,000 in sales this quarter” is your Goal, then you can set the target here.
- Permission Settings: Here you can set your Goal to ‘Private’ (only you and your manager can see) or ‘Public’ which is the default setting (everyone in your company can view). For more information about Permissions, check out this article.
If your company has enabled integrations you may have a number of options to choose from when creating your Key Results. Integrations help you track your progress by drawing information from an outside source, like Google Sheets.
Extremely Important: When you are done, please don't forget to click Submit so that your OKR is created.
For more information about integrations and how they function, click here.
Is it possible to restore a deleted Goal or Objective?
It is not possible to restore a deleted Goal or Objective. For that reason, we strongly discourage deleting Goals and instead recommend you use the "end early" step defined here.
What is the difference between a task, a Goal, and a project?
You probably work with tasks, goals, and projects every day.
- A task is something you do.
- A goal is something you want to achieve, a desirable outcome.
- A project or initiative is usually a combination of tasks with an intended goal.
What is the Goal list page?
The Goals list page allows you to see the lifecycle of your Goal and perform all the regular Goal interactions easily:
- View progress
- Check in
- Edit permissions
- Edit progress settings
- View Goal alignment
- Assess Goals
- Leave comments
Why can't I change the end date of my Objective?
Contributing Objectives are confined by the dates of the parent Objective. For example, the parent Objective has an end date of 9/30/2017. If you try to set the end date for your contributing Objective to something past 9/30/2017, you will get an error message that says, "End date must come before parent end date of 9/30/2017."
How many Objectives should I have?
During a typical period, like a quarter, you should be working to achieve 3-5 Goals. Too many Goals can detract from overall progress, so focus on what's really important.
How do I reassign an Objective or Key Result?
You can reassign Objectives or Key Results you own, Objectives or Key Results that your direct reports own, or any items in the platform where you are marked with "Editor" permissions.
- Navigate to the Objective list page and find the Objective or Key Result you want to reassign
- Click on the picture/initial pane next to the name of the Objectives or Key Results.
- Search for the new owner's name and click on it
- After clicking on the name, it will save your changes and the ownership transfers to the person you selected.
Note: Once reassigned, you won't be able to edit the Objective and reassign it unless the new owner reports to you, or if you have editor permissions on the Objective.
How do I edit an old comment?
You can edit a comment that you left by hovering over the upper right hand corner of the comment box and selecting the pencil icon. Remember, the option to edit a comment only lasts 24 hours. After that, only admins will be able to edit comments.