What you will need:
- A Professional Service Package, as this must be done by Betterworks in our backend. Please contact your dedicated CSM or our Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- CSV templates download at the bottom of this article.
A Betterworks Professional Services team member can upload existing OKRs that you have created in Excel or other programs.
These are the file requirements:
1. A comma separated file (CSV).
2. name column - this is the short description of the Goal or Milestone and appears in the platform.
3. type field indicates if the name value is a Goal or Milestone. The terms 'goal' or 'milestone' must be used for import purposes, regardless whether they are called Objectives & Key Results (or other names) in the platform.
4. progress column must remain, and can be between zero (leave blank) and 100. It is always a percentage value for import purposes, but can be edited to a different measure in the platform after import if needed for each OKR.
5. start_date is typically the start of the quarter, but can be any date if a Goal started on a different date and can be in the past.
6. end_date is typically the end of the quarter.
7. owner_email is the email address of the person who owns the goal or milestone. These email addresses need to exist in the platform connected to active users prior to import. Owners can be reassigned after import if needed. Only an individual can own a goal and milestone. If they are to be owned by teams or departments this needs to be updated manually after the import.
are a way of tagging a goal based on the categories pre-defined by your admin team. You can configure categories yourselves under Admin\Platform configuration\Objective settings\Categories tab. See https://support.betterworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/206070766-Creating-and-Managing-Goal-Categories-
These can be added later if needed, or will need to exist prior in Betterworks to import if you want to include them. Only the row type 'goal' can have a category assigned. Semi colons are a separator for multiple categories.
9. description is for the long description of a goal, which is displayed when people drill into a goal. This is an optional field and can be left blank if not needed.
Only the type 'goal' can have a description value. A description can contain commas and line breaks as well as html links.
Note: you will create a single file that contains all your Goals & Milestones listed in a way that the Goal row has the Milestone rows directly beneath it before the next Goal row. It is the order of the rows that is used to group the Milestones together under the Goal above.
This import process can not be undone
, so it is best practice to upload a sample of your data into your Preview Environment
first so you can review it and confirm it looks correct.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) It is not possible to import a nested Goal.
2) You cannot remove the Goals in bulk, if anything is done in error. Please confirm all data is correct before uploading.
3) Your existing OKRs must fit into the example template format in order to be able to be uploaded.
4) Private column must be included as a column in the Goal csv. The goal/objective must be marked as 'True' for private or 'False' for public. The True/False indicator cannot be applied key results/milestones and must be left blank.
Example CSV Template: BetterWorks 2021 Upload_Sample.csv