SFTP: SSH File Transfer Protocol
SSH: Secure Shell
If it's your first time connecting to an SFTP server, you may find this guide helpful. By scheduling a job that exports employee data from your existing HRIS provider and saves it to our SFTP server, you can automate your user management. Managerial changes, departments, etc. can be updated in one place, then the update will automatically feed into the Betterworks platform.
Username: [provided upon request]
Password: [provided upon request]
To establish a connection to our server:
1. Download an FTP client (i.e. FileZilla).
2. Enter the address of the server in the "Host" field. In FileZilla, this is located in the top toolbar.
3. Enter your username and password.
4. Enter the Port.
5. Click "Quickconnect" or press "Enter" (on your keyboard) to connect to the server.
6. Click "Ok" if you receive a warning regarding an unknown host key.
Leverage the SFTP Server to Manage Users
See this article.
If automation proves too costly or complex, you can always leverage the SFTP server manually. Using whichever provider you have, you can export your user data, manually put into a template (see below) and upload onto the SFTP server using FileZilla or a similar client. This would be ad-hoc and you'd need to build the file yourself, but it can save you both money and developer resources.
How often should I export?
What should I name the file?
Where should I put the file?
Can I encrypt my files further?