After your guide has been published, you may want to see how it is performing. The Metrics tab gives you a detailed, at-a-glance view of how users are interacting with a specific Guide. You can see the views of your guide, time spent on guide, and the guide activity.
The first chart on the Metrics tab provides a summary of Guide views and viewers. Depending on your starting timeframe (Today, Yesterday, Last X Days or Custom Range), you can toggle between "Hourly," "Daily," "Weekly" or "Monthly" and between "Views" or (unique) "Visitors" in the top-left corner of the chart. For each time period, the chart shows the total number of views or visitors broken down by first-time and repeat views. Hovering over a block in the bar chart will give you more detail about the number of guide views for that particular time period.
Visitors Per Guide Step
This chart shows how many visitors, within the segment and date range at the top of the page, reached each step of the walkthrough. If you only have one step in your Guide, you will only see one bar.
This first chart shows the average time per step. If you click on a step, you can see a breakdown of that specific step.
The bottom of the page provides detailed information on Guide activity (see below for more detail on walkthroughs and polls, which add additional modules to the report).
You can toggle the Targeted Audience to show Everyone, Has Seen Guide, or Has Not Seen Guide.
Clicking the download icon in the top right corner of the chart will download a .csv version of the Guide Activity report.
For the defined segment and time period, the report summarizes:
- The number of steps seen
- The time spent viewing the Guide
- The status of the Guide
- Displayed: This means the Guide was presented to the visitor. They did not take any action to advance (walkthroughs only) or dismiss the Guide. If the Guide is set to display automatically, it will be presented to them again.
- Closed: This means the Guide was presented to the visitor. The visitor selected to dismiss the Guide by clicking on the “X” icon. Automatic Guides will not be shown to the visitor again.
- Action Taken: This refers to any advance on a Guide that isn’t a walkthrough. Actions taken will include events from buttons that have pendo.onGuideAdvanced logic tied to them. A single step poll is an example of this: if the user submits the poll, Betterworks Guides will display "Action Taken."
- Advanced: This is specific to walkthroughs and refers to when a Guide was presented to the visitor and a transition event was recorded. This means that the visitor saw the current step then advanced the Guide to the next step without dismissing it. Automatic Guides may be shown to the visitor again if they don’t ultimately dismiss or complete the walkthrough. The visitor will see the last seen step in the guide for 10 minutes from the last advance. After a 10-minute timeout, the visitor will see the first step in the walkthrough.
- Completed: This is also specific to walkthroughs and indicates that the visitor has fully progressed through all of the steps without dismissing the Guide.
- The date the Guide was last seen