What does it do?
The Betterworks Outlook integration allows users to interact with their own and others' OKRs directly from their inbox. They will also be able to send/receive feedback and review active conversations. To install the add-in, a user must be both a Super Admin in Betterworks and an administrator in their organization's Outlook instance.
Outlook web app
Note: The OS doesn't impact the Outlook web app.
Outlook desktop app
Note: For Windows 8.1 versions and Office versions greater than 16.0.13530.20424, the Edge WebView2 (Chromium-based) internet browser should be installed. Otherwise, Windows users will need a minimum of Windows 10 version 1903 and Office 365 client version 16.0.11629 in order to successfully use the Betterworks add-in with Outlook for desktop. This is because the Betterworks add-in triggers a pop-up during the login process that will always launch a Microsoft browser (even if the user has another browser such as Google Chrome set as the default). This behavior is not determined by the Betterworks add-in, but by the Outlook application itself. Internet Explorer is being sunset by Microsoft and is therefore not compatible with our add-in. Upgrading to the versions referenced above will force the pop-up to trigger in Microsoft Edge (which is compatible with our add-in). However, upgrades should be managed by your organization's IT Team, not by individual users.
Creating the Add-In
1. Add the Betterworks Outlook add-in to your Exchange Server or Office 365.
2. Confirm that the Betterworks add-in is configured for your preference.
- See directors for how to manage user access to add-ins for Outlook in Exchange Online here. Below are explanations of each:
- Optional, enabled by default - Use this setting if you would like to add the Betterworks add-in to all users' email views, but allow users to disable it.
- Optional, disabled by default - Use this setting if you would like to have each user make the choice to enable the Betterworks add-in.
- Mandatory, always enabled - Use this setting if you would like to add the Betterworks add-in to all users' email views and not allow users to disable it.
Note: The above process is the same whether your organization's Betterworks instance is on the US data center or the EU data center.
The Betterworks add-in uses the following access/permissions to function in Outlook:
- "ReadItem" - To read the information about the objective that is being viewed.