Note: To install the add-in for your organization, you must be both a Super Admin in Betterworks and an equivalent administrator in Outlook. Also, if you're currently using v1 of the add-in, you'll need to uninstall it and install v2.
The Betterworks add-in for Outlook allows users to:
- View their goals and milestones
- Update their goals and milestones (i.e. progress and comments)
- View the goals and milestones of other users
- Review active conversations
- Request and give feedback
Outlook Web Application
A user's OS doesn't impact the web application.
Outlook Desktop Application
For Windows 8.1 versions and Office versions greater than 16.0.13530.20424, the Edge WebView2 (Chromium-based) browser should be installed. Otherwise, Windows users will need a minimum of Windows 10 version 1903 and Office 365 client version 16.0.11629 in order to successfully use the add-in.
The add-in triggers a pop-up during the login process that will always launch a Microsoft browser even if the user has another browser set as the default (i.e. Google Chrome). This behavior is not determined by the add-in, but by the Outlook application. Internet Explorer is being sunset by Microsoft and is therefore not compatible with our add-in. Upgrading to the versions referenced above will force the pop-up to trigger in Microsoft Edge (which is compatible with our add-in). However, any upgrades should be managed by your organization's IT Team.
Creating the Add-In
1. Add the Betterworks add-in to your Exchange Server or Office 365.
2. Confirm that the add-in is configured for your preference.
- See directions for how to manage user access to add-ins for Outlook in Exchange Online here.
- Optional (enabled by default) — Use this setting if you would like to add the Betterworks add-in to all users' email views, but allow users to disable it.
- Optional (disabled by default) — Use this setting if you would like to have each user make the choice to enable the Betterworks add-in.
- Mandatory (always enabled) — Use this setting if you would like to add the Betterworks add-in to all users' email views and not allow users to disable it.
Note: The above process is the same whether your organization's Betterworks instance is on the US data center or the EU data center.
The Betterworks add-in uses the following access/permissions to function in Outlook:
- "ReadItem" — To read the information about the objective that is being viewed.